You may be the first person to recognize that someone is in distress or to notice a change in their typical behaviour.

  • Increased absences or sudden drop in grades
  • Lack of participation, loss of interest
  • Isolation from friends or classmates
  • Missed or incomplete assignments
  • Repeated requests for accommodations
  • Excessive fatigue, difficulty with focus
  • Disruptive or unusual behaviour – Irritability or emotional outbursts
  • Appetite or weight fluctuations
  • Lack of personal hygiene
  • Illogical or confused thinking or writing
  • Increased use of substances



Talk with the student. Once you have recognized there may be a problem, or if others have expressed significant concern about this student, it is important to respond and to let them know you are concerned while remembering you are not a health care professional.


  • Express concern and be specific about the behaviour that concerns you.
  • “I’ve noticed you have been absent from class lately and I am concerned.”
  • “How are things going?”


  • Look at the student and be mindful of your body language
  • Ensure you are in a quiet environment
  • Practice active listening


  • Affirm student’s thoughts, feelings and experience in a sensitive and compassionate
  • “It sounds like you are feeling lonely on such a big campus.”
  • “I’m sorry you’re going through this.”



Encourage the student to get help and make a referral to one of the services on campus. Ask if they are already connected to support on or off campus.

  • “Is this something you would like help with?”
  • “I can recommend a few resources that are available to you.”

If a student says ‘no’ to a referral:

A student may say no to a referral or may not follow up with resources. We must respect their decision, except in the case of emergencies. Remind them that your door is always open if they reconsider or need additional help.

content box icon

Can I share information with other members of Carleton?

You are allowed to share information with other Carleton employees on a “need to know basis”. This means that you can contact another department and may disclose only the details necessary to ensure a student’s safety and to help them access support.


Report and Reflect

You are encouraged to follow up with the student to see if they have connected with support. Students will need time to resolve issues.

If warning signs persist, or you would like to identify your concerns, you may choose to submit a Care Report.


content box icon

Reflect on your own needs and support:

Recognize the limits of what you can do and realize you cannot control how the student will respond. You must take care of yourself when helping others. Seek personal support if needed.

How to Refer a Student


Student is showing some signs of distress and can identify a few coping strategies.

Signs may include:

  • academic, financial, health or personal problems
  • homesickness
  • heightened emotions
  • lack of support



Connect student to appropriate resources. Offer support and encouragement.

To follow up:

If appropriate, check in to see if the student has accessed support. Remind the student that your door is always open.


Student’s coping strategies are no longer effective or needs are complex. No imminent risk of harm to self or others.

Signs may include:

  • Significant changes in behaviour or appearance
  • Recent trauma
  • Deteriorating mental health
  • Serious emotional difficulties
  • Isolation/withdrawal
  • Substance use.



Contact the following to facilitate an appointment or for consultation:

  • Student Care and Support 613-520-2600 ext. 1358
  • Counselling Services 613-520-6674 (press 2)
  • Sexual Assault Support Services 613-520-5622

To follow up:

Submit a Care Report.

Keep your Chair or Departmental Supervisor informed.


Student is actively planning suicide or is at risk of immediate harm to self or others.

Signs may include:

  • direct or indirect reference to suicide
  • threatening, violent or destructive behaviour
  • student is incoherent or out of touch with reality
  • the situation feels unsafe


Immediate action is required.

On-campus: 613-520-4444
4444 (from any on-campus phone)

Off-campus: 911
(Notify Campus Safety Services)

If uncertain, you can call the Distress Centre of Ottawa and Region: 613-722-6914

To follow up after immediate action has been taken:

Submit a Care Report.

Keep your Chair or Departmental Supervisor informed.